In cooperation with the City of Arab, the Arab Historical Society developed the Historic Village in the City Park as a tribute to the pioneering people who settled and built this area into the prosperous, community-spirited place it is today.
Development of the Historic Village was started in 1991 as a Centennial project of the Historical Society. At the present time, ten buildings have been completed. They have been furnished with items through the 1940’s and portray a North Central Alabama rural community of that time. Visitors to the park learn first-hand what life was like in the 1880-1940 era and tour structures dating from 1880s to the 1930s preserved with authentic furnishings. Complex includes 1935 Old Hunt School, 1912 Rice Church, Smith’s country store, Elvin Light Museum, grist mill, blacksmith shop, club demonstration home, plus late 1800s Boyd House.
For more information, visit www.arabcity.org/index.php/living_in_arab/historic_village.