Moving from Tennessee, Ebenezer Hearn was called upon to organize the first Methodist Church of Alabama. What began as a Methodist camp on a Creek Indian site progressively transformed into a building in 1818, now known as Blountsville United Methodist Church. Today 200 members attend church every Sunday underneath the hand-hewned beams that are still visible today.
Blountsville United Methodist Church is part of the North Alabama Hallelujah Trail of Sacred Places, a driving tour of 32 churches that are at least 100 years old, stand on their original sites, still hold services and are accessible to the public. For more information, visit www.northalabama.org/trails/hallelujah.