In 1851 twelve Methodists met in Newton (later Attalla) to plan a Methodist Episcopal Church. A crude log building on North Fifth Street served as the first church. In 1861 and again in 1882 the church relocated on Fifth to accommodate the growing membership, and a full time pastor was added in 1888. In 1896, Attalla was first reported at the NAMAC. Ground was broken for the present church home in 1903, and on May 1, 1904, the congregation assembled for the first Sunday worship in the new sanctuary.
First United Methodist Church of Attalla is part of the North Alabama Hallelujah Trail of Sacred Places, a driving tour of 32 churches that are at least 100 years old, stand on their original sites, still hold services and are accessible to the public. For more information, visit www.northalabama.org/trails/hallelujah.