Fort Dickerson was built by the Federal army in 1863-64 across the Holston (now Tennessee) River from Knoxville. The forts along this ridge were constructed to prevent the Confederates from bombarding Knoxville to drive out the Federals. Confederate cavalry attempted an attack on 15 & 16 November 1863 but retreated when they decided they could not take the fort due to the steep terain and strength of the defending troops.
Today the fort is in a City park and is maintained by the City of Knoxville and the Knoxville Civil War Roundtable. The fort contains 3 replica cannon, numerous interpretative signs detailing the fort's history and maps and photos of the actions around Knoxville. The Roundtable sponsors a Civil War Weekend the second weekend in November with a school day and two days of public tours and military presentations.
Also contains picnic pavilions and a rock quarry.