Located just minutes off Interstate 24 on historic Dixie Highway, Jasper, Tenn., stands at the gateway to the beautiful Sequatchie Valley. Once part of the Cherokee Nation, Jasper was established in 1820 with land that wasdeeded for $1 from Elizabeth "Betsy" Pack, daughter of Cherokee Chief John Lowery and beloved Cherokee Woman Nannie Watts.
The Jasper Regional History Museum offers a glimpse into Jasper’s storied past with an exceptional collection of regional artifacts and memorabilia. Exhibits include an impressive display of Native American artifacts, including clay pots, jewelry, tools, arrowheads and pipes. The area’s military history is highlighted with artifacts and photographs that date back to the Civil War. Early kitchen appliances and fixtures, as well as an exhibit dedicated to vintage quilts and home goods, provide insight into home life in Jasper’s early days. The museum also features a history of Marion County High School and the former Pryor Institute, with photographs from the mid-1800s and yearbooks that date back to 1912.