Lee and Gordon’s Mills is one of the oldest grist mills in the state of Georgia, and is located approximately one mile from the Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Military Park in the historic town of Chickamauga. The property is listed in the National Register of Historical Places, and was used by both the Union and Confederate Armies as a place to cross the Chickamauga River during the great Battle of Chickamauga.
Three Gordon Brothers came to Crawfish Springs from Gwinnett County, Georgia, in 1836 (the town of Crawfish Springs became Chickamauga in the late 1890's). They each bought several acres of adjoining land. James Gordon bought the mill site from Leroy Holiway and built the grist mill with an attached store room (general store). The mill served as the first general store in Walker County.
Gordon managed the mill until 1857, when he turned it over to his son-in-law, James Lee. Mr. Lee passed the management of the mill to his eldest son Gordon Lee in 1889. Gordon Lee gave up the management of the mill to his younger brother Tom Lee. Tom Lee sold the property to the Wallace brothers, Bill and Charley in 1929. They operated it until 1967.
When Bill retired in 1967, he declared the mill retired as well. He refused to sell or even lease it. The mill stood empty and neglected from 1967 until 1993, when the Wallace heirs sold the mill property to Mr. Frank Pierce. Mr. Pierce completely, at his own expense, restored the mill the way it was 167 years ago, repairing the turbines and all working machinery. Examples of all machinery used in building operations have been placed on display on the main floor, cleaned and repaired to their original operational condition. The dam has been restored to its original width and height which was a tremendous job by itself. After six years of continuous construction, the facility is fully operational.