The Paris-Henry County Heritage Center is housed in Cavitt Place, a 1916 Italian Renaissance Revival mansion built by Colonel O.C. Barton. The Heritage Center exhibits local history dating back to the early years of Paris and Henry County. Colonel Barton was one of the leaders of the community in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was a state and local politician who invested in Paris Medicine Company and Dr. Edwin Grove’s “Tasteless Chill Tonic,” which in 1900 sold more bottles than Coca-Cola. Colonel Barton served as Mayor of Paris from 1893-1897 and later served as president of the City Board of Education. He is reputed to be the first millionaire to reside in Paris.
The idea of a teaching museum originated with Deanna Dunlap. Volunteering her time she was a driving force behind the formation of the Heritage Center, and served as the first Executive Director. In 1988, the North Poplar District was placed on both the Tennessee and the National Registers of Historic Places. Cavitt Place is one of the houses in the North Poplar District. In 1989 the Henry County Commission agreed to a quitclaim deed. The title to Cavitt Place was received by the Paris-Henry County Heritage Center in 1992.