For more than 30 years, the Princess Theatre has presented an array of outstanding cultural events, including such award-winning artists as Ray Charles, Cloris Leachman, Loretta Swit and Arlo Guthrie. Programming highlights included the national tours of Broadway musicals such as Evita, Big River, Nunsense, and Will Rogers Follies, and concerts by the Glenn Miller Orchestra, jazz greats Dianne Reeves and Chris Botti, and bluegrass legends Del McCoury and J.D. Crowe.
Located in the Albany Historic District in downtown Decatur, the Princess Theatre serves the community as a 677-seat theatre that presents a variety of arts events, provides a multipurpose rental facility, serves as an arts in education resource, and preserves one of the city’s most significant buildings.
The Princess Theatre has been a north Alabama landmark for more than a century. Beginning as a livery stable in 1887, it was transformed into a silent film and vaudeville playhouse in 1919. After a facelift in 1941, the Princess emerged with the art deco style that remains today and features a brilliantly lit neon marquee. In 1978 the City of Decatur purchased the Princess Theatre when it closed as a movie house. After a $750,000.00 renovation, the Princess once again reopened and this time as the city's performing arts center. The 677-seat theatre began serving as a stage home for local performing arts groups, providing a multipurpose rental facility for the community, serving as an arts education resource for schools and annually presenting a variety of touring artists in music, theatre and dance. A Professional Series features national touring arts events from Broadway musicals to major concert artists and family events. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.