Red Clay served as the last eastern council grounds of the Cherokee Nation from 1832-1837. Prior to 1832, the Cherokee capital was located at New Echota until the state of Georgia removed the Cherokee Nation’s political sovereignty and ceased Cherokee meetings. At the Red Clay Council Grounds (NR listed 1972), a proposed treaty with the United States in October 1835 was unanimously rejected by the Cherokee. Chief John Ross led the movement for the Cherokee to remain in the eastern lands and refused their removal to Oklahoma. Red Clay State Historical Park is a certified interpretive site on the Trail of Tears. The park features replicas of a Cherokee farmhouse, cabins and council house as well as an interpretive center with exhibits and artifacts. A sapphire-blue spring produces over 400,000 gallons of water each day.
Directions: Follow Hwy. 60/Dalton Pike south from Cleveland 12 miles. Turn right on Weatherly Switch Rd and follow signs to park.