St. John’s congregation was established in 1880 by the settlers of New Decatur, but the current structure wasn’t built until 1893. Originally facing north, the church was physically turned around to face east. St. John’s was modeled after Gothic English Parish Churches and is the only true Gothic church in Decatur.
St. John’s Episcopal Church is part of the North Alabama Hallelujah Trail of Sacred Places, a driving tour of 32 churches that are at least 100 years old, stand on their original sites, still hold services and are accessible to the public. For more information, visit www.northalabama.org/trails/hallelujah.