Located in Tuscumbia, Alabama, St. John's Episcopal Church is Alabama’s oldest surviving church built in the Carpenter Gothic-style architecture. Built in 1855, it was used by Union Soldiers to stable their horses during the War Between the States. The church contains original furnishings and stained glass windows. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
St. John's Is part of the North Alabama Hallelujah Trail of Sacred Places, a driving tour of 32 churches that are at least 100 years old, stand on their original sites, still hold services, and are accessible to the public. For more information, visit www.northalabama.org/trails/hallelujah.