The beginnings were simple at St. Joseph Catholic Church. Mass was held at the home of Mr. Joe Beckman in 1879, prior to the Florence Roman Catholics establishing their first church here in 1898. The ordinal wooden church and its school were the center of the surrounding Catholic Hill neighborhood for seventy-five years. St. Joseph’s school mainly served the working class areas of east Florence. In time, it became the chief religious center for area Catholics.
St. Joseph Catholic Church Is part of the North Alabama Hallelujah Trail of Sacred Places, a driving tour of 32 churches that are at least 100 years old, stand on their original sites, still hold services, and are accessible to the public.