The Old Mill

In the early 1800's, a water-powered gristmill on the banks of the Little Pigeon River became one of the main hubs of activity in the small mountain community of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. In those days, the mill faithfully produced the meals and flours that were crucial for the day-to-day existence of the Smokies' early settlers. In fact, The Old Mill even furnished electricity for the town until 1935.

One of The Old Mill's most distinctive features is the giant water wheel that harnesses the flow of the Little Pigeon River. Inside the structure, an antiquated yet reliable system of shafts, belts, and pulleys still gets the job done, working to turn the 4600-pound stones and grain elevators.

Weighing one ton each, the massive flint granite stones, called French Buhrs, are only the second set ever used in The Old Mill's 178-year history. When they're in action, the stones convert grain into about 1000 pounds of product each day, six days a week. Resident millers then hand-fill, weigh and tie each bag of stone ground grain.

Products ground at The Old Mill are used in many of the dishes at The Old Mill Restaurant including biscuits, corn bread, pancakes, hush puppies, muffins and grits. We also use our own grains for the homemade artisan style breads that are prepared each day at The Old Mill Pottery House Café & Grille .

The area's heritage is also being preserved through a variety of crafts that are practiced at the nearby shops of The Old Mill Square. Our Pigeon River Pottery has been home to pottery making for over 50 years, and the best of time-tested recipes are prepared by our confectioners (with decades of experience among them) in The Old Mill Candy Kitchen. The entire Square is a working tribute to the Smokies' pioneer days.

Today, The Old Mill is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and just as in the 19th century, it's still one of the most popular places in the Smokies and one of the most photographed mills in the country.

Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 35.788519 Longitude: -83.553954 Elevation: 1003 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Marvelle Sewell

Downloads

About this Establishment

Listed on the national register of historic places and just recently has been added to the civil war trails.  It has been in continuous operation since 1830.

Time Period Represented

1830 to current

Hours Open

7 days a week. Hours vary seasonally; call 865-428-0771 or visit Old-Mill.com.

Visitor Fees

No charge.

ADA Accessibility Notes

Handicapp accessible.

How to Get There

  • US-441 South (Parkway in Pigeon Forge)
  • Follow signs to Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg
  • Turn left at traffic light #7 in Pigeon Forge

Street Address: 175 Old Mill Avenue, Pigeon Forge Tennessee 37868

Leave a Comment

Submit