The Bethel Cemetery contains is the resting place for more than 1,600 Confederate dead, including approximately 105 soldiers who were killed in the Battle of Fort Sanders. In addition, around 50 prisoners of "Union Men" and 40 Civil War veterans are interred here. The monument to the Confederate dead was erected by the Ladies Memorial Association and was unvieled on May 19, 1892. The cemetery was cared for and maintained by the Winstead family for over 100 years, and the last private owner, Miss Mamie Winstead who died in 1989, willed the cemetery to the Hazen Historical Museum Foundation. The framed house located on the property was completed in 1886 die to the second sexton of the property, William H. Winstead, a Confederate veteran who lost his leg in the Battle of Gettysburg. The Caretaker's Cottage has recently been restored and contains a museum which includes the history of the cemetery, the Civil War in Knoxville, as well as original artifacts.
Latitude: 35.9746135 Longitude: -83.9011207 Elevation: 951 ft
Hours OpenCemetery is open Dawn to Dusk. The Cemetery Museum is open Saturdays, 10am-3pm, or by appointment
Time Period RepresentedCivil War Era
Seasons OpenCemetery is open year-round. Museum is open March-December, or by appointment. Closed in January & February
Visitor FeesDonations appreciated
How to Get There
Visit the Mabry-Hazen House at 1711 Dandridge Ave. Knoxville, TN for a tour of the museum and cemetery.